Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The beginnings :)

So here is a little history of the dioramas :).
It all begun with a huge plum cardboard (10mm thick) silly dollhouse (yes sorry, dolly friends, I really can't relate to it now :D, no I don't have it anymore and I'm afraid I don't regret it ^^) with white windows (Duracraft working four pane windows, in white, a whole lot of 10)  I had made and had to put down to make a baby's room.

At that time, I thought I needed something easily portable and stocked and made little walls and floors with 5mm plum cardboard, some scrapbook papers, metal angles thingies and scratch, oh and the white windows. It worked well, they were stocked in the flat white Ikea boxes you can see behind the desk. I still like that method to make quick little settings.
Walls were the size of the scrapbook paper (30,5 mm) + 5mm in the bottom for both and 5 mm on one of the sheets to make the angle. Paper was fixed with Roller Pritt non permanent glue (I was planning to change paper from time to time) and window just set in place in the right size hole in the cardboard, not glued.
Little metals things received scratch, and the cardboard sheets too, et voilà. Floor sheet was just set in place. It works well  and I was very happy with that for a little time (mushrooms pictures on the following example pictures are from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland).
But installing and reinstalling furniture and accessories became shortly quite frustrating and I began to wish for more elaborate wall shapes too, beginning with a portholes three partioned wall (I guess inspiration came mainly from the Mechtorians little robots, these are great designer toys by Doktor A).
The portholes are made of little hobby store plastic Christmas bubbles, Using the halves without the screw side. The holes in the cardboard were very very heavily painted in black then metal, and bubbles painted the same on a 5mm band in the outside.

The white and red room gained some handmade windows (from little 10mm thick hobby wood sticks and clear packaging hard plastic). It's mainly in this state right now, minus all the re-ments and plastic thingies, and the paper has been aged a little (I have not put the walls back in place yet so no picture for the moment).
Flooring here was made with ice-creams sticks (don't try), glued on plum carboard (NEVER do that :D :D) and it's really not good :D.

No comments: